Spelunking



1. The Decent
It’s been a couple months since I’ve updated and I’m sorry it’s been really rough and still is even with this New Year. I am in the mist of editing a new video on my YouTube Katrina Meier YouTube Ch channel as part of the amazing adventure I recently had.  I went to New Zealand on the North Island then to the Cook Islands (I will post later). Though I wanted to share with all of you one of my favorite moments I had in Waitomo, New Zealand. I concurred one of my many current fears of mine and had a blast doing it. The others well I still terrified about the possible outcome or results.


2. This is taken 3/4 of the way up the water fall
I am claustrophobic and I went spelunking! I have done many outdoorsy adventures camping, hiking, rock climbing (afraid of heights as well but enjoy them too), white water kayaking, rappelling list goes on you get the idea. However a lot of them including this one is a fear. Though I know I faced it and could overcome that fear by trusting myself knowing I was fully aware and respected the danger I was willingly putting myself in.

I did experience early symptoms of hyperthermia I told the guides and they said we have about an hour left underground. They asked if I was strong enough to continue and I said yes, and we all did active exercises to make sure it didn't hit my motor functions or mind. We kept each other all in check. That was the scariest part for me but got to warm up one we were in the sun again and I am fine.
3. Loved the Zip Line! The blueish/green
light you see on the cave in the darkness
are the glow warms.
I started off rappelling (image 1) 37meters underground from there we continued to make our (I went with guides) way through narrow and high passages till we were 60meters underground. Now, you may be wondering why I wanted to go cave exploring while being underground…Well, there are these amazing glow warms in the caves that in the darkness it looks like millions of stars and galaxies on the cave ceilings/walls. I wanted to see that with my own two eyes and that meant facing my fear of tight spaces underground with COLD water that is up to your nose at times (Not fun). Those narrow spaces (image 4) and high waters lasted a maximum 30 seconds and then caves would open up to rooms as big as a cathedral with cave pools, waterfalls, wholes way above sending in a beam of sunlight. It was truly amazing and I’m very glad I gathered enough courage to do something I was terrified of doing while at the same time always wanted to go spelunking.
4. "The Re-birth Canal" I hated this part!
Now we did have to make our way back out and the caves would eventually rise back to the surface and I got the amazing privilege to climb two waterfalls with (they were maybe 8meters might be exaggerating a bit) the cave guides. 
5. The glow warms net/web in order to eat. So Cool! Yes this picture
I got from the guides not my own, didn't have enough light.
 
6. Dad and I doing our Super Mario Smash Brothers Impression
Thank you Dad for experiencing this adventure with me. I know we were both cold and miserable most of the time but what we witness was far more powerful then all the negatives that were there.

Comments

Popular Posts